Recently there seems to be a huge surge in sexual abuse cases. My personal opinion is there isn't really a surge of new cases; it only seems as if there is because we are more aware of it. The statistics say that 1 out of 4 women have been raped, and that is only the rapes that are reported. And that is only rape. If one in four is raped how many more are sexually abused? And how can we protect our children from becoming a part of this statistic? And what do we do if they do become a victim?
One thing we can do is encourage open communication. If our child is victimized in this way, the worst possible thing that can happen is for the parent to blow up at the child. Speaking form experience, the child doesn't know that the parent is blowing up at the situation. They only know that there is yelling involved. Not to mention that most abusers use fear and intimidation on their victims. And most predators are people that are known to the victim. The child may have been told that if they tell, they will get in trouble. If a parent yells and cries in front of the child, that child will think the abuser is right, and the door of communication will be closed. Do you think that child is going to feel comfortable telling their parents anything after that?
I am saying this because I know how I felt when it happened to me. I know how hard it is to finally get the courage up to tell someone, and have that person start yelling. I know now they weren't yelling at me, but because of the situation, but as a little girl, I didn't know that I only knew I had been told I would get in trouble if I told, that I would be yelled at. And to me, it felt like I was being yelled at and I did get into trouble. So maybe learn from me and know that your child is already scared. Don't take out your anger and frustration in front of them. Please.
Well that's all for now. I have just been thinking about this quite a bit recently and wanted to say something. There is actually more, but I think this was heavy enough for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment